We remember some of the many notable administrators, faculty members, staff members and alumni who made a difference at Livingston College and in the Livingston Alumni community. Brief notes and a link to profiles with more information, where available, are included.
Administrators, Faculty and Staff:
|Albert E. Blumberg||Lora (Dee) Garrison||Melvin L. Gary||Hilda Hidalgo|
- Albert E. Blumberg (d. 1997, age 91): Philosophy professor; Official in the Communist and Democratic parties.
- George Warren Carey (1927-2012, age 85): Acting Dean of Livingston College from 1973-1974. [No photo available.]
- Lora (Dee) Garrison (1934-2009, age 74): Professor of history and women’s studies.
- Melvin L. Gary (1938-2015, age 76): Psychology professor.
- Hilda Hidalgo (1928-2009, age 81): Chair of the Department of Urban Studies and Community Development at Livingston College. Founder of several community organizations. Gay-rights pioneer. Recipient of the Rutgers Presidential Award for Public Service.
|Richard F. Hixson||W. Robert Jenkins||Wells Hamilton Keddie||Ernest A. Lynton|
- Richard F. Hixson (d. 2003, age 71): Chairman of the Livingston College/Rutgers journalism department. Namesake of a scholarship for undergraduate students in Rutgers’ School of Communication and Information.
- W. Robert Jenkins (d. 2015, age 88): Dean of Livingston College from 1977-1990.
- Wells Hamilton Keddie (1925-2006, age 80): Professor Emeritus of Labor Studies and Employment Relations and Livingston College Fellow.
- Lynne M. Kellermann (d. 1986): Director of the Livingston College Honors Program. [No photo available.]
- Ernest A. Lynton (d. 1998, age 71): Dean of Livingston College from 1965-1973.
|Patrick McCreary||Wilson Carey McWilliams||Emmanuel G. Mesthene||Edward G. Ortiz|
- Patrick McCreary (LC’75, MGSA’79) (d. 2016, age 67): Theater technical director at Indiana University of Pennsylvania and formerly at Livingston College.
- Wilson Carey McWilliams (1933-2005, age 71): Political science professor and essayist. Recipient of Livingston Legacy Award (2015, posthumous).
- Emmanuel George Mesthene (d. 1990, age 69): Dean of Livingston College from 1974-1977.
- Edward G. Ortiz (1931-2010, age 78): Retired associate professor and chair of the Rutgers Department of Community Development. Recipient of the Livingston Legacy Award (2009).
|Henry A. Plotkin||Seth Scheiner||Winston E. Thompson||Paula Van Riper
- Henry A. (Hank) Plotkin (d. 2017, age 74): Executive Director of the New Jersey State Employment and Training Commission; formerly Assistant Professor of Political Science at Livingston College.
- Felice C. Ronca (d. 1996, age 43): Assistant Dean for Curriculum at Livingston College. [No photo available.]
- Seth Scheiner (d. 2015, age 82): History professor and planner of Livingston College.
- Winston Edna Thompson (1933-2016, age 82): Associate Dean of Student Affairs at Livingston College.
- Paula Van Riper (1947-2015, age 67): Rutgers Assistant Dean and Director of Advising in the Office of Academic Services; formerly Livingston College Assistant Dean for Academic Policy.
(Seven of the 37 Rutgers graduates who died in the September 11, 2001, terrorist attacks had earned Livingston College degrees. Read about all 37 of the graduates on Barbara Preston’s website.)
|Kevin A.B. Appuzio||William S. Bauer Jr.||Frank Carvill||Thomas F. Daley|
- Kevin Anthony Bernardo Appuzio, LC’06 (1984-2006, age 21): Emergency medical technician killed in a house fire rescue mission. Recipient of Livingston Alumni Association’s Seth Dvorin Young Alumni Award (2009, posthumous) and Rutgers University Alumni Federation’s Edward J. Bloustein Award for Community Service (2006, posthumous).
- William S. (Bill) Bauer Jr., LC’86, GSNB’89 (1964-2013, age 49): Former Livingston Alumni Association president.
- Frank Carvill, LC’75 (d. 2004, age 51): New Jersey National Guard member, killed in the Iraqi conflict; survivor of World Trade Center terrorist attacks in 1993 and 2001. Livingston College Distinguished Alumnus (2004, posthumous).
- Thomas F. Daley, LC’75 (d. 2015, age 61): District Attorney, attorney, adjunct professor of law. Livingston College Distinguished Alumnus (2002).
|Michael A. Davidson||Jayceryll M. de Chavez||Seth Jeremy Dvorin||Colleen L. Fraser|
- Michael A. Davidson, LC’97 (d. 2001, age 27): Victim of 9/11/2001 terrorist attacks. From Old Bridge, NJ. Equity trader for Cantor Fitzgerald. The Zeta Psi fraternity held a memorial service at Homecoming on October 20, 2001.
- Jayceryll Malabuyoc de Chavez, LC’99, School of Business-New Brunswick’99 (d. 2001, age 24): Victim of 9/11/2001 terrorist attacks. From Carteret, NJ. Portfolio analysist for Fiduciary Trust Co. Founding member of Rutgers chapter of the Delta Chi fraternity.
- Seth Jeremy Dvorin, LC’02 (d. 2004, age 24): U.S. Army first sergeant killed in Iraq in 2004. Namesake of the Seth Dvorin Distinguished Young Alumni Award.
- Colleen L. Fraser, LC’74 (d. 2001, age 51): Hero of United Airlines Flight 93 (9/11/2001 terrorist attacks); advocate for people with disabilities. Livingston College Distinguished Alumna (2006, posthumous).
|Riki E. Jacobs||Brendan Mark Lang||James A. Martello||Jon A. Perconti Jr.|
- Riki E. Jacobs, LC’80 (1957-2009, age 51): Executive director of Hyacinth AIDS Foundation; namesake of Livingston Pride Award. Livingston College Distinguished Alumna (2000).
- Brendan Mark Lang, LC’83 (d. 2001, age 30): Victim of 9/11/2001 terrorist attacks. From Red Bank, NJ. Project manager for StructureTone, Inc.
- James A. Martello, LC’83 (d. 2001, age 41): Victim of 9/11/2001 terrorist attacks. Worked for Cantor Fitzgerald. Former Scarlet Knight middle linebacker from Rumson, NJ (formerly of Montville).
- Jon A. Perconti Jr., LC’93 (1969-2001, age 32): Victim of 9/11/2001 terrorist attacks. From Hoboken, NJ. Worked for Cantor Fitzgerald in World Trade Center, Tower 1, 104th Floor. Perconti’s wife, Tammy, gave birth to the couple’s daughter in December 2001.
|Gary Scott Pfeffer||Scott M. Schertzer||Derek Lamont Young|
- Gary Scott Pfeffer, LC’77 (1955-2018, age 62): Founder of Men’s Coming Out Group and longtime activist at The Pride Center of New Jersey.
- Scott M. Schertzer, LC’97, SMLR’97 (1972-2001, age 28): Victim of 9/11/2001 terrorist attacks. From Edison, NJ. Worked in human resources for Cantor Fitzgerald, World Trade Center, Tower 1, 104th Floor.
- Derek Lamont Young, RC’87 (1964-2020, age 55). Vice President of the Livingston Alumni Association.